Radio Frequency Identification — is up-to-date identification technology of objects, based on use of radio friquency electromagnetic emanation for automated reading and writing of the accounting and control data on the device.Up-to-date identification system includes hardware and software:
- RFID-tag (radio tag, transponder) is comprised of a microchip which storages the data and antenna due to which the device accepts and transfers the data.
- RFID-reader (reader, scanner) indicates radio tags, achieve information and send them to the database.
- RFID-antenna induce electromagnetic signals, which activate tags for free reading/writing of data.
- Software is comprised of server and client applications. Provides interaction of automatic data systems with RFID system, and also remote equipment management.
How does RFID system work?
Working concept of RFID system:
1 stage – Object identification. TRansponder is mounted on the object. With mobile application on the tag is written unique number – ID which is automatically writing to the system.
2 stage – Automated search and accounting of the object. Antenna activates a signal from the tag. Reader scanns element with tag, identificates it, detecting ID and automatically transfers the ID to accounting system.
3 stage – Achieving required information. Special software searches ID in the base and trahsfers object data to accounting system. All required indicators and parameters displays on the screen of mobile or stationary PC.
RFID or NFC?
In the field of wireless technologies Near Field Communication (NFC) is used for communication in near range, which provides data exchange between devices at the range up to 10 cm. RF impuls is send and with its help is performing writing and loading of the data, storaging in the transponders and called as NFC tags. The main difference is that RFID is the system of unidirectional connection and NFC is capable to intercommunication, that means communication when NFC-compliant devices enter an interaction.
NFC works only on near range with data transfering speed 400 kbit/s, possesses a range of disadvantages and minuses in safety. Generally used in the field of access control and as a way of non-contact payment via mobile devices.
- High speed of reading and writing of data
Reader automatically reads denzes of devices in a second that vastly simplifies data collection process. Technology allows to rewrite and enter an extra informtaion.
- Fast tags search without line of site.
Range of radiotag reading is 10m and more that excludes a necessity of line of site of the transponder. Hidden placement of the device and its reading via package is possible.
- Safety and confidentiality of the data.
Absence of forgery, so chip possess unique ID and written data may be classified.
- Reduce of human factor influence.
Automated scanning and writing of data without human interference.
- Immunity to agressive environments.
RFID tags are used even in agressive environments: detected through steam, water, mud, paint, oil. Information transfers in any conditions: in heat, cold, rain and also if corrosion and chemical substances pollution.
- Alternative to other types of tags.
Main disadvantages of engraving are – writing information one time and physical deformation of an object surface. Disadvantages of a barcode – writing no more information than 50 symbols, unsafety of data, amenability to enviroment influence and working only in line of site range.
- Required speed of transfering and processing of data.
- Equipment exploitation conditions.
- Acurrency of interaction with other soft- and hardware.
- Cost of revenue of solution implementation.
- Payback duration.